K.A.T.A.N.A.

Year : 2020

Time of production : 4 months

Challenge : Make a pixel art roguelite prototype using Unity

Team :

  • Arnaud CLAUDET – Game Artist
  • Thomas DEPRAZ-DEPLAND – Game Programmer
  • Maëlle HANNETON – Game Artist
  • Louis LEFEBVRE – Game Designer
  • Edouard MURAT – Game Programmer
  • Aliénor TIGNON – Game Artist
  • Tom WATTEAU – Game Designer

Footage

15 minutes gameplay




Context

This project was the first project of my second-year at Rubika. It is the first video game we made using Unity. We also have to make it in pixel art. We were free to create the universe and mechanics we want. Teams consist of 3-4 game designers and 3-4 game artists.

Description

K.A.T.A.N.A. is a nervous roguelite. The player plays a ninja who dreams to be a cook. But before that, he had to clean an old restaurant from bewitched vegetables. Hopefully, his ninja’s skills and his cooking knowledge will help him in his task.

Killing evil vegetables during runs allows you to collect ingredients. Before a run, in the hub, you can cook various meals with these ingredients and gain bonus effects that will help you to kill more vegetables and collect more ingredients.

The game is parodic. Player and enemies animations are exaggerated. It is inspired by Japanese films that are so bad it’s good.

My works

On this project, I worked a lot on the Game Design Document at the beginning. I wrote a maximum of details about the game that could be useful later during the production.

When we got a correct base for the player, I started to work on the procedural generation of the levels. After a few iterations and prototypes, I had a level generator that worked very well and that I can change some parameters to make bigger or smaller levels.

At the end of the project, I worked on refactoring some scripts and made some parts of the UI.

Conclusion

This project was a good experience. I worked on a fun project with nice people, some of them were in my previous project “Habemus Papam”, so that helped a lot during the project.

I enjoyed the project when I worked on the procedural generation. It was the most complex programming task of the project and it took me two weeks to find the way to make the generator. But in the end, it worked as we wanted.

Overall, we were happy with the final result, even if we had to rescope some things in comparison to our first idea of the game.


Links

Artstation

Aliénor : https://www.artstation.com/allieneyge
Arnaud : https://www.artstation.com/arnaud_claudet
Maëlle : https://www.artstation.com/mama_sticot

Portfolio

Thomas : https://thomasdepraz.github.io/